Monday, May 3, 2010

Student Teaching

I have had these pictures in a draft for awhile now... I wanted to add another picture but I'm in Utah, and I figure I better post it now rather than wait and forget all about it. I was able to go to Ike 9 on the 30th (my first official free day) and take some pictures.

This is the English Department at Ike 9.
(Left to Right): Ms. Woods, Ms. Simmons, Ms. Burt, Ms. Green (department chair), Ms. Ochoa, Ms. Navarre, Ms. Lenchak, Mr. Michaelson (cooperating teacher), me, Ms. Klukas, and Ms. Natale. Everyone is a Ms. because the students always defaulted to Ms.

Michaelson and I. We both commented on the awkwardness of the photo :)
Ms. Therrell's 5th period class (beginning level ESL).
(Left to Right): Ms. Therrell, Karla, Margharita, Eduardo, Iris, me, Elizabeth, Martin, Fernando, Khamsouk, Sergio, and Leyton in the front row.
These students were the sweethearts of the entire school (all except Sergio... the student who came back from COMPASS). I really enjoyed working with them, but it was one of the most challenging classes to handle.

The ESL teachers at Ike 9: Ms. Watson (has worked for AISD for 12 years now), me, and Ms. Therrell.

Ms. Therrell's 7th period class (the intermediate ESL class).

(Left to right): Ms. Therrell, Fernando, Mari Cruz, Jimmy, Tinairy, and Alondra.

Arturo was sadly missing from the picture... as was I (apparently I failed to upload the correct picture, meh!). The day before I was done Arturo had his legs barring a walkway. I asked him to move and he refused. After the 3rd refusal Ms. Therrell worte him up (a favorite pastime of Ms. Therrell, but he is not undeserving) and he got suspended for 3 days. I was shocked as well.

I also have a picture of Mr. Michaelson's 4th period GT class. They were the most fun to work with because of their maturity level and their actual intelligence as a group. I will try to remember to upload it at some point... but I'll probably forget, let's be honest.

I really enjoyed my student teaching experience even though it was the MOST CHALLENGING experience of my life. The work wasn't bad, but the experience made me think about those questions surrounding life. What's the point?? was the main focus of my worries. I can say I am still the most confused I have ever been, and my life plan doesn't seem to be as perfect as I once thought it was. I feel kind of like I'm living through a midlife crisis at the age of 23 :)

No comments: