Since I was so intent on getting internet quickly I might as well post an update before I get too busy. I’ve been in the school for about three days now and I have already learned a lot. This district is very different from my high school experience (mind you I was a complete nerd that followed every rule and wouldn’t consider talking back to a teacher or stepping out of line). These students are used to the average day’s schedule, but there are so many different aspects to school in Texas that I learn something new with every conversation. There is INSAK which serves as an in school suspension that students are in constantly, D-Hall which serves as detention for after school hours, and COMPAS which is the alternative school students are sent to constantly as well. There are misbehavior codes that the teachers have memorized and they can recite the trouble students in alphabetical order even though they only see them for one year. The students are shifted from one discipline program to the next with a blink of an eye. I was honestly completely unaware of such programs in my high school (mind you I was extremely, extremely naïve). The biggest difference for me is the change in the student’s attitude from in the classroom to in the hallway. In the class there is about 30 or so students and one teacher, but from what I’ve seen they are not entirely disrespectful to the teachers. In the hallway however teachers are constantly bombarded with profanities and disrespect. The students must wear their IDs on a lanyard at all times; if they are without it in the hallway the teacher needs to tell them to correct the problem. Students love to push every teacher's patience and rebel against authority in this manner, but the student ID truly is a starting point for every student to have a bad attitude. I witnessed a Biology teacher get cussed out while she followed two students down the hallway and another teacher break up a small scuffle by the bathrooms in less than 10 minutes. These teachers have to constantly be on guard to any disruptive behavior or possible “acting out” in their classrooms and most importantly in the hallway. The teachers honestly must assume that the students are in the wrong place and up to no good no matter the situation. I have one cooperating teacher who has “Gifted and Talented” (an actual class title in Texas) and Pre-A.P. classes. These students are loud but among the best in the school (I lucked out when I got assigned to this teacher). The other teacher is an ESL educator and her classes top out at about 8-10 students. The ESL students are by far the nicest students while in their classes. Tomorrow will be the first day that I will be able to observe an “on level” class and see what hell truly looks like :)
The second biggest difference besides school policies is the use of Ms. in everyday conversation. In Utah if someone has a wedding ring, appears older than 30, or has children I say Mrs; however, in Texas everyone assumes you are Ms. even if you have 50+ years. I asked my ESL cooperating teacher and she informed me that all the Hispanic students say Ms. so they don’t have to pronounce the teacher’s full name (and because of their native language) and the African American students default to Ms. because that was socially acceptable back in the day of slavery. It was honestly the smallest distinction that took me awhile to get used to.
I haven’t picked up ya’ll in my vocabulary quite yet, but I still laugh at any use of the word… in my head of course. I am amazed with the very, very diverse names here. The students have names such as Janericka, La’Charla, Ascunea, Deontrae, and the list goes on and on. I look at the seating chart and want to read Janericka as ‘Jane’-‘ricka’ but you actually put an emphasis on the ‘Ja’ only. One name looks like luxurious with alternate consonants… I didn’t attempt it when I read it. I honestly think the correct pronunciation of names will be my biggest challenge and when the students throw “you’re racist” to break me. I am among a mostly white faculty (compared to the student body) and I hear the students constantly claim that the teacher is racist if given the opportunity. So far I’m really glad I made the decision to come to Texas but of course I’m only 2 days in.
3 comments:
Wow! It sounds different but like a great opportunity! We're excited for you, and glad you posted too! :) Much love from Logan!
I envy the experience you are having already! It sounds challenging, but with every challenge I truly believe there will be huge rewards in the end. I know the students will love you, if they dont already! Keep updating, I would love to hear more stories. It sounds like you will end up having quite a few!
Wow! Sounds a little scary, but also like a great place to learn. It would be awful to learn in a nice pleasant Utah school and then have your first teaching experience in a school like this. Good luck and keep us posted.
Post a Comment