which she has titled as the closest work to an autobiography, that sense of hope for life wasn't always there. I was surprised by the ending and the fate of the protagonist. She was brimming with perseverance and you could see the greatness in her, but the idea of the collective truly won in this book. I was also surprised that the main character Kira attached herself to a man named Leo. Ayn Rand's novels do include sexuality (its part of everybody's life) but in this novel Kira held onto an individual who was turning more and more pathetic with each passing day. I was surprised that Kira didn't free herself from him earlier in the novel. However, you do see the love that they share for each other even at the end. I was left with a trembling sense of loss when I finished this book and although I love reading Ayn Rand's works I am glad for an emotional break.Thursday, May 28, 2009
We the Living
There is always a sense of the possibilities of life in Ayn Rand's novels, but in this novel
which she has titled as the closest work to an autobiography, that sense of hope for life wasn't always there. I was surprised by the ending and the fate of the protagonist. She was brimming with perseverance and you could see the greatness in her, but the idea of the collective truly won in this book. I was also surprised that the main character Kira attached herself to a man named Leo. Ayn Rand's novels do include sexuality (its part of everybody's life) but in this novel Kira held onto an individual who was turning more and more pathetic with each passing day. I was surprised that Kira didn't free herself from him earlier in the novel. However, you do see the love that they share for each other even at the end. I was left with a trembling sense of loss when I finished this book and although I love reading Ayn Rand's works I am glad for an emotional break.
which she has titled as the closest work to an autobiography, that sense of hope for life wasn't always there. I was surprised by the ending and the fate of the protagonist. She was brimming with perseverance and you could see the greatness in her, but the idea of the collective truly won in this book. I was also surprised that the main character Kira attached herself to a man named Leo. Ayn Rand's novels do include sexuality (its part of everybody's life) but in this novel Kira held onto an individual who was turning more and more pathetic with each passing day. I was surprised that Kira didn't free herself from him earlier in the novel. However, you do see the love that they share for each other even at the end. I was left with a trembling sense of loss when I finished this book and although I love reading Ayn Rand's works I am glad for an emotional break.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment