Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Falls

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. Some of the images that Oates creates are a little horrific... and perversely sexual, but they somehow make the theme stronger. Its critiqued as a modern discussion of the American family and I agree to some respect. I didn't tie the constant influence of suicide to the American family. Maybe my understanding of my family and some others close to me didn't have a lot of issues with suicide. It was just such a large element of the story I couldn't keep the American family in mind. The relationship inside the family were really interesting to read about in this novel. The characters are so developed and seemingly consistent in the novel you are torn as a reader to either love or hate them. The mother (Ariah) is one such character that you respect with every fiber of your being, but detest for her emotional and psychological mind games on her children. The fact that history does repeat itself truly is an unique element in the novel that also allows for such thick foreshadowing, anyone can guess the next step in the plot. I would recommend this novel to anyone, but it wasn't my favorite Oates novel. I'd still give that prize to The Gravedigger's Daughter. Rebbecca was just such a strong female character, I constantly think... now what would Rebbecca do?

No comments: