Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Water for Elephants

Hello everyone! So I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It was a great book to read because it sucks you in quickly and you fall in love with the characters. The setting is placed on a circus by train and you learn a lot of the lingo and experiences an older circus would have. The book was a little on the erotic side (compared to some of the books common to Utah reading i.e. Mormon lit.) but, I would recommend it to anyone. I was really surprised by the ending by it was truly picture perfect. I read a critique calling it escapism and I agree completely. Not only does it embody the idea of escapism for an individual but serves that purpose for the reader as well.

I am currently out of literature to read, so if you have any to suggest go right ahead. Although my next adventure might be a collection of short stories by Joyce Carol Oates, I still do respect her for her blunt reality.

No comments: